Friday, January 18, 2008

Welcome: Pick up those sticks!

The meaning of Wabi Sabi, as was explained to me by a writer and best friend, is the Japanese aesthetic of beauty in imperfection and impermanence. "Perfect!" I thought, for my knitting blog. I am an enthusiastic if imperfect knitter. I also have a touch of the perfectionist about me. My knitting buddies and teacher have offered me encouragement and tips over the years to to keep me knitting and strengthen my skill set. I hope to pass this inspiration and information on to you.

You don't have to be perfect to knit something beautiful. I walked into The Knitting Circle at 30 something having never picked up knitting needles before. Within a month, I was knitting a sweater for my new son. Was it perfect? No. Beautiful? Absolutely! As a writing coach and instructor I have noticed that people have a hard time with the idea of drafts and imperfection. I explain to them that there are these things called learning curves. Even as you travel that curve you can create something meaningful and pleasing to the senses. Same thing goes for knitting.

Do not worry that your tension is not even or that you loose count of your rows. Just keep knitting. And knit some more after that. Know that any craft takes time and dedication and the time you put in is worth it. Your skill will improve and you can enjoy your learning process (and products) as you grow.

If I can do it, so can you! If you have come here to muse about knitting, learn something new, or just pass the time on your lunch hour, I hope you find information and encouragement to cast-on, bind-off, and finish that project.


Happy knitting!

No comments: